Here’s a tasty, healthy summer salad that makes a great side dish to just about any cookout or family meal. I used this for a cookout with my daughter’s in-laws just the other day. Use your favorite cornbread recipe or do like I did and search our site. I found this delicious recipe right HERE. This is now my go-t0 cornbread–delicious!!
A couple of things to note about this recipe: the pumpkin seeds are a little chewy so next time I am going to make it with sunflower kernels; the dressing is made with plain yogurt, so if you want a little sweeter taste use French or regular Vanilla; if you don’t like lime so much, just reduce the amount. My husband was skeptical about the dressing because of the lime. Go figure.
And again, thanks for your continued support and patience as we try to work out our crazy lives so that we can cook again…and actually blog about it!
- 6 T. lime juice
- 4 t. sugar
- 2 c. plain yogurt
- 1/2 c. olive oil
- 1 (8 x 8 pan) cornbread, cut in 1 inch pieces
- 6 c. romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 (15-oz.) can black beans, drained & rinsed
- 2-3 avocados, chopped
- 2 c. chopped tomato
- 1/4 c. toasted pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 c. cilantro, chopped
- In a small bowl, mix lime juice, sugar, yogurt and oil.
- In bottom of a large glass bowl, distribute cornbread cubes to cover the bottom.
- Layer the following ingredients in this order: romaine, beans, avocado, tomato and the dressing.
- Sprinkle with pumpkin seeds & cilantro.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Dip your serving spoon to the bottom of the bowl to be sure and get all the flavors from the foods! And if you make your own cornbread, try baking at 375 degrees in a convection oven for 18 minutes.