You can “half” the batch if this is too many (can that be possible?)for your family.
1/2 cup (1 cube) butter (real)
2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
1 1/2 cups half and half
1 cups light corn syrup
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1. Butter 9 x 13 inch pan
2. Place butter in 5qt sauce/soup pan and begin melting on medium high heat
3. Add sugars and creams and stir with a wire whisk until well blended
4. Add corn syrup and stir with wire whisk until blended, continue stirring until mixture starts to boil
5. Stir with wooden spoon often until mixture reaches firm ball stage (240 F) approximately 35-40 minutes. Mixture will start to look like caramel.
6. Remove from heat and add vanilla stirring constantly until incorporated
7. Pour into prepared pan and let cool (about 4 hours)
8. While caramel cools, cut up sheets of wax paper about 3 x 4 inch
8. Cut into 1 inch squares and place on cut up sheets of wax paper – roll candy roll style – makes 70-90 pieces.
Source: My mom and the ” A Taste of Oregon Cookbook”