Yes, you can have hot chocolate while eating low carb/keto! Since trying out a low carb diet over a year ago, this recipe has become one of my go-t0’s and often serves as my breakfast.
The original recipe is from a pin on Pinterest, but I have tweaked it to my liking. I make this in my Back to Basics Cocoa-Latte maker. I’m on my second one now (the first one died and this one could at any minute) so I would love any recommendations for good cocoa makers!
I have to also mention my very favorite Thermos mug. I believe I grabbed this one at Target, and it’s been fantastic at keeping my hot chocolate warm for a loooooong time. I mean hours!
I have two favorite sweeteners/flavorings for this recipe. I always use a sugar-free Torani syrup as well as 12-15 drops of NuNaturals Vanilla Stevia. You can sometimes find sugar-free Torani at Walmart, but I have also seen it at World Market and, of course, Amazon. My favorite flavors are Salted Caramel and Vanilla. The vanilla stevia I order on Amazon.
I’ve also experimented with leaving out the cocoa altogether and using fruit flavored sugar free Torani. It’s fun to experiment!
- 12 ounces almond or coconut milk
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 2 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2-4 Tbsp. heavy whipping cream
- 12-15 drops stevia
- 1-2 Tbsp. sugar free flavored syrup
- Add all but the stevia and syrup to a cocoa maker or to a saucepan. If using a saucepan, whisk well to keep cocoa powder from burning around the edges onto the pan. (This is a pain and hard to clean up, so that's why I prefer my cocoa machine.)
- Add the stevia and syrup to your mug of choice.
- When the hot chocolate mixture is heated through, pour it carefully into your mug.
- If I'm drinking this right away, I wait and add the heavy whipping cream at the very end after I've poured the mixture into my mug. Helps cool it down a bit so it's ready to drink!
- Using the sugar-free Torani syrups gives you a chance to tweak the flavors. You can also try leaving the cocoa powder out altogether. I did this once with the Salted Caramel syrup and it was "hot caramel" instead of hot chocolate. Delicious!