Okay, this is going to have to be quick because I have to get back to watching the Winter Olympics. Every time.
My sister shared this recipe with me when we visited one time during a cold winter weekend. Comfort food at its best and it smelled so good in her house while it was cooking. Super easy recipe, and could easily be done in the slow cooker. Be sure and get some of those cute Premium Saltine Minis. I think they just taste better because they are so small.
Kids I love to snack on them.
Great dish for a baked potato bar while you are watching ballgames or any time you are feeding a crowd. We had a baked potato bar when I fixed this and now I have leftover spuds. Stay tuned for my next recipe–baked potato soup!
- 2 lbs. ground chuck
- 1 29-oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 29-oz. can dark red kidney beans (with liquid)
- 1 29-oz. can pinto beans (with liquid)
- 1 c. diced onion (medium)
- 1/2 c. diced green chilies
- 1/4 c. diced celery
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 t. cumin
- 3 T. chili powder
- 1 1/2 t. black pepper
- 2 t. salt
- 2 c. water
- Brown the beef in a skillet over medium heat; drain off fat.
- Using a fork or other tool for chopping meat, crumble the cooked beef into pea-size pieces.
- In a large pot, combine the beef plus all remaining ingredients, and bring to simmer over low heat. Cook, stirring every 15 minutes for 2-3 hours.
- I had a big crowd over for dinner so I doubled the recipe, but only 1 1/2'd (is that a word?) the spices and water.
- Add-ins: sour cream, shredded Mexican blend cheese, saltine mini crackers.