Cold weather and Hallmark Christmas movies have me in the mood to make holiday dishes, so this Christmas Cranberry Bread recipe caught my eye. It’s from Magnolia Journal, of course. Hope you aren’t tired of me sharing!
The combination of cranberries, lemon zest and walnuts had my mouth watering, and when you bite into this delicious quick bread you will be in holiday heaven.
I used freeze-dried sweetened cranberries that I already had in my pantry, so the bread was probably a little sweeter than using frozen or fresh, but it wasn’t overly sweet to me.
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 4 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Dash of nutmeg
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries, halved
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease the bottom and 1/2 inch up the sides of 2 9×5-inch or 8×4-inch loaf pans.
- In a very large bowl stir together the flour, sugar, lemon zest, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- In a medium bowl, lightly beat the eggs. Whisk in the oil, milk and maple syrup. Add to flour mixture and stir to combine (this is a stiff batter). Stir in cranberries and walnuts.
- Divide batter between the two prepared loaf pans and spread evenly.
- Bake about 60 minutes or until a cake tester placed in the center comes out clean. Let stand in pans on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Remove loaves from pans and cool completely on rack.
- Wrap loaves in plastic wrap or foil and store overnight before slicing, Really. It will crumble like crazy if you don’t.