This is such a delicious idea that I don’t know why I didn’t think of it before. The idea came from a dinner with our Sister Missionaries, one of which is allergic to strawberries. I made a quick “chocolate sauce” for her pound cake and the rest of us wanted in on it. This is the result. You can spread the sauce over the cake, drizzle it over the top, or both. It is a yummy twist to an already delectable dessert!
Cake – Pound Cake, Angela Food Cake or another cake of your choice cut into serving size pieces
1 Qt. Strawberries (fresh if available)
Sprinkle of sugar (optional)
2 cups Heavy Whipping Cream
1/2 tsp Vanilla
1/4 cup Powdered Sugar
1 cup milk chocolate chips
1/4 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
1. Prepare Cake according to directions on package or recipe (or purchase pre-made) Let cool.
2. Wash, Stem and slice strawberries. Sprinkle with 1-2 TBLS sugar and stir with wooden spoon – this will cause the strawberries to “juice”
3. Whip whipping cream until peaks start to form, add vanilla and powdered sugar, whip until stiff peaks form
(Note: If you whip your cream too long, you will have a sweetened vanilla butter – not all “oops” are a bad thing)
4. Heat Chocolate chips and cream in double boiler or in microwave just until melted – stirring to prevent burning let cool slightly
5. Layer the dessert the way you like it.
Source: A Jennie Original with a little help from my friends 🙂