Made these for a school party. A mouthful of fall flavors!
1 1/2 c. flour
1 1/4 t. baking powder
1/4 t. baking soda
1/2 t. ground ginger
1/2 c. unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 c. brown sugar
1/4 c. sugar
1/2 c. sour cream
1/4 t. lemon extract
2 1/2 c. apples, roughly chopped and loosely packed
1. In a medium-sized bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda and ginger.
2. Beat butter and sugars in a large bowl until light and fluffy.
3. Beat in eggs, sour cream and lemon extract until blended.
4. Mix in flour mixture.
5. Fold in apples.
6. Divide batter evenly among 12 cupcake liners (they will be filled almost all the way to the top).
7. Bake at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out of the cupcake clean.
Pumpkin Pie Frosting
3/4 c. sugar
1/2 t. salt
1 1/2 t. pumpkin pie spice
2 large eggs
15 oz. canned pumpkin
12 oz. evaporated milk
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, beat eggs.
3. Stir in sugar, salt and pumpkin pie spice.
4. Mix in pumpkin.
5. Mix in evaporated milk.
6. Pour into 9″ pie plate.
7. Bake for 15 minutes.
8. Reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake for another 40-50 minutes, until a toothpick comes out dry.
9. Remove from oven and leave on counter for two hours before use.
*Put “pumpkin pie” into a piping bag or ziplock bag with a hole cut out. Pipe frosting onto cupcakes.
While you can load a slice of pie directly into the piping bag, I found that the pie piped better if I put it in a large mixing bowl and beat it for about thirty seconds to evenly distribute any moisture before loading it into my bag.