This dish was served at a Relief Society activity in my mom’s ward several years ago. Although it was delicious as is, I have made a few changes in both ingredients and preparation. It can be a main dish (with ham) or a side dish (without ham).
1/2 stick (4 Tbsp) butter
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 pt light sour cream
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 Tbsp onion powder
1 to 1 1/2 cup cubed ham (optional)
1/2 to 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
~2 lb. bag of frozen hash browns
1. Melt and mix the butter, soup and sour cream in a large pot over medium heat. Stir until smooth.
2. Add the ham (optional), cheese, onion powder, salt and pepper. Heat through, stirring often.
3. Stir in the hash browns until covered with the soup mixture.
4. Transfer to a 9×13 baking dish, coated with cooking spray.
5. Bake in the oven for 50 to 60 minutes.
[The original recipe called for southern-style hash browns, although I prefer to use the shredded. Use the longer cooking time for the southern-style potatoes; the shredded hash browns take less time to cook through.]
Source: Adapted from a family friend’s recipe