6 to 8 large baking potatoes
4 celery stalks, chopped (optional)
1 onion, chopped (optional)
2/3 C. flour
2/3 C. butter
2 C. milk
4 C. chicken broth
8- 12 strips of bacon, cooked and crumbled
1 C. sour cream
8 oz. shredded cheddar cheese
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 C. chopped green onion to garnish
1. Peel and cube potatoes to desired size for soup. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add potatoes, celery and onion (if desired) to the boiling water and cook until tender (about 10-15 minutes depending on the size of the potato cubes).
2. Using a colander, drain the water from the vegetables.
3. Place the empty pot on the stove at medium heat and combine butter and flour to make a roux. Cook for 1 minute, roux will be bubbly and thick.
4. Slowly whisk in milk, and chicken broth. Salt and pepper to taste.
5. Add the potatoes (and celery/onion if using), bacon, and cheese to the soup. Mix well.
6. When the cheese is melted, stir in the sour cream. Add more salt and pepper to taste.
7. Garnish bowls of soup with chopped green onion and any leftover bacon pieces and cheese.
The soup will be thick. Add a touch of milk to reheat leftovers.