It seems that the only protein I can get one of my children to eat is in the form of either meatloaf or meatballs. Really?? So in order to broaden our horizons, I found a recipe for these spinach meatballs, compliments of Gina’s Skinny Recipes.
1 lb lean ground beef
10 oz frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
3/4 cup bread crumbs
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tbsp fresh parsley
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp olive oil
3 cloves smashed garlic
28 oz can crushed tomatoes (I used Tuttorosso with Basil)
1/2 onion, unchopped
1. In a large pot, add olive oil and garlic. Cook on medium heat until garlic is golden brown.
2. Add tomatoes and onion and simmer 15-20 minutes.
3. In a large bowl, combine meat, spinach, bread crumbs, egg, garlic, parsley, and cheese. Mash with hands until all ingredients are well combined.
4. Roll meatballs to about the size of a tablespoon.
5. In a large skillet, allow olive oil to heat at medium.
6. Add meatballs to hot oil and cook until cooked through and brown, about 10 minutes.
7. When done, place meatballs on a plate lined with paper towels.
8. Once excess grease is absorbed, add meatballs to tomatoe sauce and continue simmering in sauce for an additional 15-20 minutes.
9. Remove onion from sauce and serve meatballs over your favorite pasta.