1/2 cup cold butter (1/4 cup for the orange glaze and 1/4 cup for the bicuits)
1/2 cup orange juice (preferably fresh)
1/2 cup sugar
2 t. grated orange zest
2 cups all purpose flour
2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
3/4 cup milk
1 to 2 T. butter for brushing on the uncooked biscuit dough
1/4 cup cinnamon sugar (mix about 1/4 cup sugar with about 2 t. cinnamon)
1. Heat the oven to 425 degrees. Grease a 12 muffin tin. (Note this recipe does not work with muffin liners.)
2. To make the glaze, combine 1/4 cup of the butter with the orange juice, sugar, and orange zest in a saucepan. Stir over medium heat until the sugar is dissolved and then cook for 2 minutes.
3. Divide among the muffin cups.
4. Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium size bowl. Cut in the remaining 1/4 cup of butter until the mixture resembles coarse cornmeal.
5. Add the milk, stirring with a fork until the dough forms a ball. Turn it onto a counter, knead it briefly (4 turns or so), and roll it out into a 1/4 inch thick rectangle, roughly 12×8 inches.
6. Brush with the softened butter and sprinkle with the cinnamon sugar.
7. Four your hands and roll up the dough, jelly roll style, then cut it into twelve 1 inch slices. Place a slice in each glaze filled muffin tin.
8. Bake for approx. 18 minutes or until the biscuits are golden brown. Run a knife around each biscuit, then turn them out, glazed side up, onto a cooling rack with a baking sheet or waxed paper below. Makes 12 biscuits.