My mother-in-law, the recipe guru, put this one together on her own with intent of making her own “copy-cat” recipe from Taco John’s Potato Ole’s. The basic recipe is easy and can be topped with your own likings. Ole’! [o-lay] =)
1 15oz can refried beans
1-2 lbs prepared taco meat (depending on how meaty you like it)
1 small can of diced green chiles or 1 10oz can Rotel (diced tomatoes with green chiles), I’ve also used 1c of salsa…it’s very flexible.
2lb bag of tater tots or tater rounds
2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese
1. Spread refried beans evenly in the bottom of a 9×13 pan
2. Layer taco meat, green chiles (or salsa) and tater tots over the beans (in that
3. Bake according to the tater tot directions. Usually 425 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
4. Remove from oven, sprinkle cheese over hot tater tots and bake for another 5-7
minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly
5. Top with your favorite mexi-toppings =)
Goes great with a side of yellow hominy cooked with butter and salt. Mmmmm!
Source: Debbie Hancock