I love sweet n’ sour chicken. It is asian inspired cuisine that even my kids will eat (and enjoy!). I found this recipe and it was as good as promised. I also loved that the ingredients were on hand and inexpensive!
Sweet N’ Sour Chicken
3-4 chicken breasts
salt and pepper for seasoning
2 large eggs, beaten
1 cup cornstarch
1/4-1/2 cup canola oil
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup ketchup
1 cup apple cider vinegar
2 Tbsp soy sauce
2 tsp garlic salt
1)Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2) Cut chicken into bite size pieces, season with salt and pepper
3) Heat oil in medium sized skillet over medium heat
4) Place cornstarch in gallon sized ziploc bag. Add chicken pieces and toss to coat.
5) Whisk eggs in shallow pie pan, dip chicken pieces in egg and place in hot oil.
6) Cook for 1-2 minutes on each side until golden but not all the way cooked through.
7) Place cooked pieces in single layer in baking dish. Continue with all pieces.
8) Mix all sauce ingredients together and pour half of mixture over chicken pieces.
9) Bake for one hour, turning chicken several times during cooking to coat with sauce.
10) While chicken is cooking, heat remaining sauce over medium heat until combined and thickened.
Serve over rice with extra sauce as desired.
Recipe source: Mel’s kitchen cafe