I love my summer garden, and Cowboy Caviar is one of my favorite recipes that I make from the delicious goodies I get from it. I make huge bowls of this at a time. I’ve even lost a few pounds while eating this all week. Delicious and healthy!
Here is the original recipe I had:
1 15 oz can of black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
1/4 cup thinly sliced green onion
1/4 cup diced red or orange sweet pepper
2 TBSP olive oil
2 TBSP cider vinegar
1 or 2 fresh jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
1/4 tsp cracked black pepper
dash of salt
2 cloves garlic, minced
1. Combine all ingredients in a bowl, cover and chill for several hours or overnight. Serve with crackers or tortilla chips.
Here’s how I really make it:
1. Go out to the garden and pick a bunch of vegetables – cucumbers, tomatoes, bell peppers (green, red, yellow, orange), banana peppers, jalapenos, vidalia onions, fresh garlic, etc.
2. Bring them in the house and wash them, then start chopping them up and put them in a bowl.
3. Add some olive oil, black pepper, a little salt, plenty of apple cider vinegar, and a can or two of drained black-eyed peas. You can throw in chopped avocado, fresh cut corn, fresh parsley, or anything else that makes you happy.
4. If you can, let it sit for at least 30 minutes (or overnight) before devouring it. The longer it sits, the stronger the vinegar flavor becomes, which I love. Enjoy with tortilla chips or your favorite crackers.
Source: Someone made this at a church activity many years ago, and I have been making my own version ever since.