In our home there has been a quest for the “most delicious” Macaroni and Cheese. One of our daughters has looked through and tried many recipes. This recipe has been created using many things gleaned from this search and is one of her favorite things to make and eat. It is yummy anytime of the year.
If you don’t have time to bake it; you can eat it after the cheesy sauce has been stirred in and sprinkle extra shredded cheddar on top.
This also freezes well – up to 6 weeks. Do not “bake” before freezing .
2 cups dry macaroni noodles cooked and drained (cooking 1 less minute than required if baking it).
1.5 – 2 cups Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
1/4 cup butter
1/3 cup flour
3 cups milk
1/3 cup shredded Mozzarella Cheese
1/2 cup shredded (not powdered) Parmesan Cheese
1/2 tsp ground pepper
The Cheesy Sauce can be made in the Microwave or on the stove top. The method is the same.
1. Melt butter in 8 cup microwavable bowl.
2. Stir in flour with a wire whisk until smooth.
3. Very gradually add milk, stirring smooth with each addition.
4. Microwave for 1 minute.
5. Add Cheeses until blended, Microwave for 1.5 minutes, and Stir
6. Microwave 30 seconds at a time stirring well after each time until sauce is slightly thick and bubbly.
7. Add pepper, stir until incorporated.
1. Spray casserole dish with non-stick spray, place a layer of cooked macaroni in dish.
2. Pour white sauce over to cover.
3. Sprinkle with grated Sharp Cheddar Cheese.
4. Repeat layers ending with cheese.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes or until it bubbles at the edges.
Source: Created from many ideas – by Angela