1 – 16 oz bag dried beans Black, Navy, Pinto, or Great Northern Beans
3-4 garlic cloves minced
1-2 ribs of celery chopped
1 TBLS salt
1 1/2 tsp oregano or fresh equivalent
1/2-1 bunch of chopped cilantro (optional
6-7 cups water – Northern Beans take 9-10 cups
1. Rinse Black Beans in cold water removing any dirt or bad beans.
2. Place rinsed beans into large crock pot.
3. Add all ingredients in order to the crock pot and stir thoroughly.
4. Cover and cook on low 6-8 hours stirring every once in awhile
This tip comes from my friend Sarah and I have expanded it a bit.
I substitute 1/2 or more of the fat in many cookies, cakes and some times brownies with dried beans. They work best in Oatmeal, pumpkin, and other “soft” cookies. This work very well in all types of cake.
1. Prepare beans as above leaving out all spices etc.
2. Freeze beans in zippy bags until needed.
3. When needed – thaw beans, puree in blender. Use euqal amounts to substitute (ie: If you are replacing 1/2 cup butter use 1/2 cup bean puree before the liquid is added). Puree pureed beans with at least 1 egg or other liquid in the recipe. This will help it incorporate better. Add to the recipe as usual.