Do you like Brownies? Do you like Coconut Macaroons? Then you will LOVE this dessert! These are wonderful, they don’t take a lot of ingredients, and they have a definite WOW factor at any gathering. I inevitably get asked for this recipe. Thank you Martha Stewart.
For Brownie Base
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, plus more for pan
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
For Coconut Topping
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract (real really is best)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, (spooned and leveled)
- 1 package sweetened shredded coconut (7 ounces), 1/2 cup reserved for sprinkling
For chocolate base: Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a 9-inch square baking pan with aluminum foil, leaving a slight overhang; butter bottom and sides of foil (not overhang). Melt butter in large microwave safe bowl in microwave. Add sugar and salt; whisk to combine. Whisk in egg, then cocoa and flour until smooth. Spread batter in prepared pan. Bake just until sides begin to pull away from edges of pan, 10 to 15 minutes (do not overbake). Let cool slightly while preparing topping. (Keep oven on).