I have a friend who makes THE most amazing toffee.
Seriously. It’s total food crack.
And as much as I’ve always thought I would like to know her secret recipe, I actually kinda wish I hadn’t found this recipe (which is super close to hers, although I will always prefer hers!).
Because I can’t stop eating it when I make it!
I made three batches to test it in different ways and each time I ate until I was sick! I seriously have to watch myself around this stuff.
And I’m so happy that this recipe does NOT involve a candy thermometer. I really hate those things.
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 5 Tbsp. water
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- Place a baking sheet on top of several towels or a wooden cutting board.
- In a cast iron skillet, melt the butter with the sugar and water. Once the butter is melted, adjust the heat until there is a consistent boil. Stir CONSTANTLY.
- Continue to adjust heat and stir for 10-15 minutes or until the mixture is caramel colored. Remove from heat.
- Add the salt and vanilla and stir well.
- Immediately pour onto the baking sheet.
- Wait a couple of minutes and then pour the chocolate chips evenly over the top. Allow the chips to melt completely, then spread the chocolate evenly with an offset spatula.
- Allow the chocolate to set completely before cutting/breaking up the toffee.
- You need the towels or wooden cutting board as a protection for your countertop. The toffee will make the baking sheet VERY hot!
- I tried this twice with milk chocolate block and could never get it to melt smoothly. I highly recommend using milk chocolate chips, which are formulated differently from block chocolate. They melt way better!