This recipe was originally posted on February 16, 2012. We thought we would bring it back for the holidays!
These are a tasty rendition of the classic Rice Krispie Treat and are great for any holiday involving chocolate and mint–and they are so pretty! I have made these for our youth at church and for several family gatherings and they are a big hit. Personally, I can’t stay away from the platter–so many favorite flavors.
- 1 10.5 oz. bag of peppermint mini marshmallows*
- 4 tablespoons butter, plus extra to butter the pan
- 5-6 oz. krispy rice cereal
- 3 tablespoons semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons white chocolate chips
- 1/2 teaspoon vegetable oil, divided (I used shortening)
- a few drops peppermint extract
- 2-3 medium sized candy canes, crushed
- Line a 9×13 pan with foil and lightly butter bottom of pan and about 1 inch up the sides.
- Melt butter in a very large bowl in the microwave. Add marshmallows and stir to coat. Microwave on high for 30 seconds at a time until melted and smooth, stirring as you go.
- Add the krispy rice cereal and stir to evenly combine. With buttered hands, press mixture into pan.
- Place the white chocolate chips and about 1/2 teaspoon or less of shortening in a small bowl. Heat in microwave in 30 second intervals on 50% power, stirring in between until melted and smooth. Repeat same process with the semi-sweet chocolate chips and add a few drops of peppermint extract.
- Drizzle both chocolates on top of the treats and sprinkle with the crushed candy canes–I used those that are more porous, you know, the kind you can stick into a hole in an orange and suck the juice through? Really…have you never tried that? Anyway, let sit until chocolate is set. You can put it in the refrigerator to speed up the process. Cut into squares and oh my goodness….
- * If you can’t find the peppermint marshmallows, use regular and add about 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract to the melted marshmallow mixture.