This Fresh Tomato & Basil Pie recipe is adapted from a friend’s pie, which she brought to dinner one night before she and her family moved away. Sad to see her go but glad she shared the recipe with me.
I have always wanted to make tomato pie and this one is scrumptious! Especially with the addition of the fresh basil. And the crust? So flaky and delicious, if I do say so myself. I promise to share that in another post.
So we put in a garden this year–with the help of friends who are great at growing stuff, and canning, and freezing, and drying, etc. Our tomatoes and basil have gone crazy! I even made fried green tomatoes the other night. Never tried those? Well, then that is something else I need to share later.
Fresh Tomato & Basil Pie
A scrumptious way to use fresh produce from your garden.
Write a review
- Pastry for 1-crust 9 inch pie
- 2 T. evaporated milk
- 4 cups sliced, firm ripe tomatoes
- 1 t. salt
- 1/8 t. black pepper
- 1 T. fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1/3 c. mayonnaise
- 1/3 c. Parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1 large clove garlic, smashed and minced
- whole fresh basil leaves for garnish (opt.)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Line pie plate with pastry. Flute the edges. Brush shell with evaporated milk.
- Bake shell for 5 minutes. Remove from oven. Reduce oven temperature to 350.
- Fill baked shell with layered, sliced tomatoes and sprinkle with salt, pepper, and chopped basil.
- Combine mayonnaise, Parmesan, and garlic and spread over the tomatoes.
- Bake at 350 degrees for approx 45 minutes, or until pie is golden brown.
Mormon Mavens https://www.mormonmavens.com/