So many of us are looking for healthy DELICIOUS food options these days. The latest thing I am checking out is the Mediterranean diet–actually I just would like to not call anything a diet, but a lifestyle. Mediterranean sounds good to me.
I looked up easy Mediterranean recipes and found this one that sounded delicious. And who doesn’t love using a rotisserie chicken? Am I right?
And you may think, by looking at the photo, that this recipe includes cream. NOT.
I know. And yet it is so good.
- 1 T. olive oil
- 3/4 c. cubed carrot
- 1/2 c. chopped yellow onion
- 2 t. minced fresh garlic
- 3/4 t. crushed red pepper (next time I will use 1/2 t.)
- 6 c. chicken broth
- 1/2 c. uncooked orzo
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 c. fresh lemon juice
- 3 c. chopped baby spinach
- 1 1/4 t. kosher salt
- 1/2 t. black pepper
- 3 T. chopped fresh dill (for garnish)
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add carrot and onion. Cook, stirring occasionally until softened, about 3-4 minutes. Add garlic and crushed red pepper and cook until fragrant, stirring constantly.
- Add broth to Dutch oven and increase heat to high, bringing broth to a boil. Add orzo and cook, uncovered, until al dente, about 6 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk eggs and lemon juice together until frothy. Remove 1 cup of the broth from Dutch oven and add, gradually, to the eggs. Whisk constantly to temper the eggs for about 1 minute. Pour egg mixture into Dutch oven and stir to combine.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, then stir in chicken, spinach, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly until spinach wilts.
- Serve up in 6 bowls and sprinkle with the dill.