Another venture into Mediterranean recipes brought me this delicious, yet simple, salad with chicken.
I didn’t realize how much I loved the subtle tastes of these foods until I took my first bite of salad. My eyes closed and all I could say was “Mmmm…this is really good.”
This is a pretty healthy dish–protein, veggies, some healthy fats. Sounds like a pretty good option for lunch today, right?
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- Cooking spray
- 1 lb. thin sliced skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut in 1-inch cubes
- 5 teaspoons fresh lemon juice, divided
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoons tahini (sesame seed paste)
- 1 teaspoon bottled minced garlic
- 8 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 cup peeled, chopped English cucumber
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 6 pitted Kalamata olives, halved
- 1/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- In a small prep bowl, combine oregano, garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Place the cubed chicken in a medium bowl toss with the herb mixture.
- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray, then add the chicken. Saute until chicken is done. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon lemon juice and stir. Remove from pan.
- In another small bowl, combine remaining 2 teaspoons lemon juice, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, yogurt, tahini and garlic. Stir well.
- Combine lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes and olives in a large bowl.
- Place 2 1/2 cups of lettuce mixture on each of 4 plates. Top each serving with 1/2 cup chicken and 1 tablespoon cheese. Drizzle each serving with 3 tablespoons yogurt mixture.
- I was not able to drizzle the yogurt dressing because it was pretty thick. You will probably need to thin this out, maybe with a little milk? I wouldn’t increase the amount of lemon juice.
- I found tahini by the peanut butter at my local Wal-Mart.