If you haven’t tried Southern Cole Slaw, you are missing out on the perfect pairing for hot dogs, barbeque (beef or pork), steak or whatever!. This recipe is from my Mom and I have used it for years–now I am sharing it with you.
I am also going to share a shortcut that I just picked up today at our local grocery store. It will save you a LOT of time and probably some finger skin (gross, right?)–if you use a box grater, then you know what I’m talkin’ about. You can also grate your cabbage in a food processor. Here is the link to Chef Buddys Southern Slaw. This is the already diced cabbage, green bell pepper, and onion.
You will notice that my recipe does not have bell pepper or onion. These were ingredients in the packaged slaw mix. Personally, I prefer not to have those two ingredients but you might like it. My recipe includes carrots so I used Thrive Freeze-Dried Carrots to save time and my fingers.
- 1 head of cabbage, grated*
- 2 medium carrots or about 1/3 cup of Thrive Freeze-Dried Carrots
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 T. apple cider vinegar
- 4 t. sugar
- 1 t. salt
- 3/4 t. celery seed
- Combine cabbage and carrots in a large bowl and set aside.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a small bowl and mix well. Add to the cabbage and carrots and toss until well-blended.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour to let the flavors combine.
- * Here is where you substitute the Chef Buddys Southern Slaw pre-diced package.