I don’t can often, but when I do…….I love to make these Fresh Peach Preserves. So good. And really easy. I got this recipe back in maybe 1994 from a good friend who shared it with me when I had a 1/2 bushel box of peaches and needed to do something with them–like right then. Since then, if I ever have the good fortune to have some totally sweet awesome peaches in bulk, this is my go-to recipe. I don’t even bother freezing any.
5 cups well mashed peaches
1 cup crushed pineapple (with juice)
10-15 chopped Maraschino cherries
1 tsp. Fruit Fresh
2 pkgs. Sure-Gel
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1/2 t. butter
5 cups sugar
1. Combine first 6 ingredients in a large saucepan. Add the butter and bring to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly.
2. Add sugar quickly. Return to full boil and boil for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
3. Immediately fill CLEAN jars and put lids and rings on. Hand-tighten rings.*
4. Invert jars for 5 minutes, then return to normal position.
5. Have fun hearing the lids POP as they seal at random moments.
6. Give out to your “framily”. Keep some for yourself.
Source: Pat Sorenson via Tonya Shepherd Sorenson.
* If you have never canned before, be sure to check out instructions on Google or go to the Ball Canning website for tutorials.