This Frosted Salad is delicious! To tell the truth, I would just eat the topping and leave the rest, but that wouldn’t be fair to anyone else.
I cannot for the life of me remember where I got this recipe–maybe a magazine–and it has been DECADES since I made it. A browsing session through our family cookbook brought back the memories of that topping and I was like “oh yes, this will be made for our Father’s Day dinner.”
- 2 pkg. strawberry Jello
- 2 cups lemon-lime soft drink
- 1/2 pt. whipping cream
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 (20-oz.) can crushed pineapple, drained, reserve juice
- 2 large bananas, diced
- 1/2 cup reserved pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 T. flour
- 2 t. butter
- 1 egg, well-beaten
- Drain pineapple and save juice for the topping.
- Dissolve Jello in boiling water. Stir in lemon-lime drink. Chill until partially set.
- Add pineapple and bananas and stir well. Chill until set.
- In a small saucepan, combine reserved pineapple juice, sugar, flour, butter and egg and cook until thickened.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool (you can put this in fridge).
- When cooled, add 1/2 cup WHIPPED cream and spread on salad. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Don't forget to whip the whipping cream before adding to topping mixture.